The new Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards place rigorous demands on all students to master grade level content. These standards are especially demanding for learners of English. For example:
- CCSS for ELA/Literacy: Anchor standards for reading, writing, listening, speaking, and language. Emphasis on text complexity & building knowledge from informational text; expectation that students will produce and use evidence in text to justify their views.
- CCSS Reading in Science and Technical Subjects (RST) and Writing in History, Science, Social Studies, and Technical Subjects (WRST): instruction in the English language skills of reading and writing required in the content areas.
- CCSS for Mathematics: problem situations that are language-rich and require multiple steps.
- Next Generation Science Standards: technical vocabulary peculiar to each science discipline; texts that have features unique to science ELLs must be provided with equitable learning opportunities to meet these rigorous career and college readiness standards.
TEL ACTIVITIES AND THE CCSS ELA ANCHOR STANDARDS
The Teaching English Learners' lessons and activities specifically help teachers move ELLs toward achievement of the ELA CCSS Anchor Standards, including:
- Read with literal and inferential comprehension, providing evidence from text.
- Interpret word meanings (technical, connotative, figurative; analyze choice/tone.
- Integrate words, data, and visual displays while listening and speaking.
- Know how language works, using different functions in different contexts, and use this knowledge to make choices for meaning or style, and applies them while reading or listening).
- Know and use word-learning strategies and can use these plus reference materials to determine meanings of words and phrases. Specific Teaching English Learners' activities and strategies, such as 9 Square and Cued Retelling, specifically support the achievement of the CCSS by ELLs:
MODEL UNITS AND LESSON PLANS
The www.teachingenglishlearners.com portal will provide model units and lesson plans link to sample-science Unit at a Glance for each subject area-science, math, English language arts, social studies-Science, Math, English Language Arts, Social Studies, ESL-incorporating the TEL activities. These model units and lessons will show teachers how to adapt and support their daily instruction so that ELLs in their classes can learn the reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language skills necessary to reach the rigorous CCSS and succeed in all academic subjects.